International Laboratory Freezer Challenge
The International Freezer Challenge is a friendly competition co-sponsored by I2SL and My Green Lab designed to promote best practices for energy efficiency in cold storage management. Challenge winners are determined based on the amount of energy they save and can also earn points for sharing tips about their own cold storage best practices.
- Take the 2022 Freezer Challenge and start saving in your lab! Register online to receive your scoresheet and begin earning points for your cold storage energy savings. All scoresheets are due by July 1, 2022.
- Participants can earn points through various efficiency actions, such as temperature tuning, retiring or upgrading old freezers, cleaning out unneeded samples, implementing cutting-edge practices, and more. You can also earn points by sharing your own best practices with others.
- Winners will be featured in Lab Manager magazine and will be recognized at the I2SL Annual Conference in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, October 16-19, 2022.
Wondering how your fellow scientists implement cold storage best practices in a variety of lab environments? Hear from four panelists who have participated in My Green Lab and I2SL's Freezer Challenge during a free virtual panel on March 30 at 11:00 a.m. Eastern. If interested in attending, please register online.
Learn more about the 2022 Freezer Challenge through the video below and check out this article by Eppendorf in Lab Worldwide.
Congratulations to the 2021 Freezer Challenge winners! Despite the challenges presented by COVID-19, over 220 laboratories completed the competition, representing 113 different research institutions from around the world. This year's Freezer Challenge participants saved a combined 4.3 million kilowatt hours per year, more than any year previously. This is equivalent to reducing carbon emissions by 3,000 metric tons annually.
- 2021 Organizational Winners
- University of Alabama Birmingham
- The National Institutes of Health
- The Children’s Hospital at Westmead, Australia
- After having earned the top Academic Organization award for the fourth year in a row, the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign has won the 2021 Winning Streak Award.
- 2021 Organizational Honorable Mentions
- Merck (known as MSD outside the United States)
- University of Southern Denmark
- Royal College of Pathologists Australasia
- 2021 Individual Laboratory Winners
- Research Materials Management Lab in Discovery Technologies at Amgen Thousand Oaks, California
- Bioscience Lab at Domainex, Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
- Immunology Biology Lab, Janssen Pharmaceuticals, La Jolla, California
- Endocrinology Laboratory at the Children’s Hospital at Westmead, NSW, Australia
- Hemostasis Reference Laboratory, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- MTS Cryo Stores UK Limited, Nottingham, United Kingdom
- Health Microbiology Laboratory, Research Center for Biology, Indonesian Institute of Sciences, Indonesia
- The Laboratory of Cell Biology of the National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland
- Immunoassay Biomarker Core Laboratory, School of Medicine, University of Dundee, United Kingdom Van Der Pol Lab at the University of Alabama Birmingham, Alabama
- Lab + Coventry University, Coventry, United Kingdom
- BioSpecimen Processing Facility at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Read about the 2021 winners in Nature and My Green Lab's blog and get inspired for next year!
- The winners were recognized during the 2021 I2SL Annual Conference in Atlanta.
- View the recording for My Green Lab's virtual event, Let's Talk Freezers. During the conversation, the 2021 Freezer Challenge sponsor organizations discussed their work and answered attendee questions about lab cold storage.
- Visit the Freezer Challenge Resources page to view the webinars "Decrease Energy Usage in the Laboratory With the Next Generation of Sustainable Ultra-Low Freezers" and "Beyond Power Consumption: Storing Efficiently at -80C."
I2SL and My Green Lab would like to thank the 2022 Freezer Challenge sponsors: