Basic Event Planning Timeline for I2SL Chapter Events
10 to 12 weeks out
- Determine the format and content of the event and develop a budget.
- Identify a few possible dates and times, taking into account holidays.
- Determine and reserve the event location. Consider checking local colleges/universities and county government facilities for low-cost or free event space.
- Identify, invite, and confirm speakers.
- Determine how registration and payments will be handled (e.g., through email, through a service like Eventbrite or Weebly).
- Consider if food and beverages are needed and determine how they will be provided.
- Identify what audiovisual equipment will be needed and how it will be provided.
- Consider sending a save the date announcement to your chapter email list. Send a draft to I2SL HQ and allow at least 24 hours for approval.
8 to 10 weeks out
- Draft a promotional email launching registration and send to I2SL HQ for review. Allow at least 24 hours for approval.
- Send promotional email to your chapter's email list (I2SL HQ can provide this upon request) and begin tracking registration.
- Finalize agenda for the event.
6 to 8 weeks out
- Track registration.
- Determine what materials will be needed onsite and begin development (e.g., handouts, signage).
- Ensure presentations are being developed or tour details are being coordinated.
4 to 6 weeks out
- Send another promotional email to your chapter email list.
- Confirm schedule, room setup, and audiovisual needs with the venue.
- Track registration, ensuring all speakers are registered.
- If you would like to offer AIA credits for the event, submit the AIA Credit Request Form to I2SL HQ.
- Collect speaker presentations.
1 week out
- Print name tags, programs, and any other materials needed.
- Finalize food and beverage needs and make arrangements for it to be delivered or picked up the day of the event.
- Identify someone who will take photos of the event.
Day of the event
- Arrive at the event venue at least an hour in advance to confirm room and audiovisual setup and to set up the registration area as necessary.
- Pick up or receive the food and beverage.
- If you are offering AIA credits, ask attendees to fill out the Chapter Attendance Form.
- Take photos of the event.
After the event
- Submit the Chapter Event Report Form to I2SL HQ within 30 days.
- If you offered AIA credits, submit the completed Chapter Attendance Form to I2SL HQ.
- Send a thank you note to speakers and other contacts that assisted with the event.
- Note what worked well and what could be improved.
- Share photos and a brief write up with I2SL HQ for promotion.